In 1972, Ridge made its first Lytton Springs from vines planted on the eastern half of the vineyard at the turn of the century. Both the eastern and western portions of the vineyard were purchased in the early 1990s, (In the 1870s, under “Captain” William Litton’s ownership, the two were part of one property; spelling evolved to “Lytton” by 1903.) The vineyard is planted to zinfandel and its principal complementary varietals.
On the nose this is expansive and satisfying, with aromas of liquorice, blackberry and blueberry, orange peel plus touches of tobacco leaf. This young but very approachable wine is medium-bodied and combines intense, powerful flavours of ripe plum with a more ethereal, earthy structure. It is surprisingly well integrated and is great straight from bottle but will have more to give with time in the cellar.